This small, useful booklet contains general interest material preprinted from The Astronomical Almanac. It is published jointly by the U.S. Naval Observatory and Her Majesty's Nautical Almanac Office two years in advance of its date. It includes such things as:
- dates for Solar equinoxes, solstices, phases of the Moon
- eclipse maps
- dates for various planetary phenomena
- visibility and magnitudes of the planets
- dates for some religious and civil holidays
- chronological eras and cycles
- the equation of time and declination of the Sun
- sunrise/set, moonrise/set times
- the position of Polaris.
Starting with the 2015 edition, users may download Astronomical Phenomena free of charge, although the booklet is still available for purchase through the Government Printing Office. It is available as a navigable PDF.
Editions of Astronomical Phenomena Available for Download